One of the first projects I put together during my layoff’s early months was a cork wreath. I had seen many models in Pinterest and Etsy but none truly inspired me to copy the design. After counting my own stash of corks, I noticed that at least 40% of them where champagne corks which weren’t really used on any of the projects I had researched. This gave me an idea that resulted in a very unique yet easy to build design.
Assuming you have about 60-70 corks and 40-50 champagne corks, synthetic or otherwise, and a glue gun, the total cost for the project will be the cost of the wire frame and the foam or synthetic grape vines. I bought the wire frame at Michael’s with a discount coupon, and the fake grape vines in purple and green at The Dollar Store. The grand total came to $3.50! Buying corks can get expensive; ask your friends and family for corks and venture to local taste rooms. Some people do sell them through Etsy for a couple of bucks.
The project itself is very simple.
- Glue the inside loop of corks to the wire frame. (First to second wire.) Let it set for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Glue the outside loop of corks to the wire frame. (Third to fourth wires.) Let is set for another 10 -15 minutes.
- Glue the wine corks, mushroom cap side up, to the wire frame middle section.
- Fill in the gaps with the purple and green fake grape vines. Let it set for 10 minutes.
Overall, the project shouldn’t take more than 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how good you are with the glue gun. Be generous with the glue as you can cover the blobs with the vines. Once you finish, flip it over and glue any loose components. Hang on a wall or door and enjoy!